Monday, March 26, 2007

Tech post (Thing #7)

This week I discovered how to add a search box for WorldCat to my webpage. It's on my test page if you'd like to take a look.
I'm really intrigued after visiting Google and realizing the potential for making it work for our local libraries that I want kids to get to know WorldCat.
I suggested to one of mu U.S. history teachers that rather than fighting Wikipedia, he have the students use the list of references from articles about the topic they were researching. They were told they had to use Google Book Search to find out whether the book was available online and if it wasn't they needed to use Find in a Library to see where the book's closest location was. They seemed to enjoy the exercise and were able to see how local libraries can be helpful for their research. I'm waiting for the day when my library can be the closest "librar[y] near you."

1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Love your Flickr widget on the left column. You are soaring ahead of other test-drivers, so I know you are having lots of fun.

Go ahead and check out other blogs and cheer them on. Start with http://2cooltools.blogspot.com/2007/01/week-3-flickr-maps-montages-and-other.html